Welcome to the Networked & Embedded Systems Laboratory (NESL) at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). Our lab is a part of the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, and the Computer Science Department. NESL is physically located in 1762 Boelter Hall on UCLA's campus in Westwood, Los Angeles. Our research is in the broad area of embedded and cyber-physical systems for applications in IoT, ubiquitous and mobile computing, and pervasive sensing and control. Our interests are in problems related to making these systems learning-enabled, secure, privacy-aware, human-coupled, wirelessly-networked, and energy-efficient. We take a full-stack approach in our research, working across all layers of systems including algorithms, applications, software, and hardware.
Feel free to explore this web site, and in case of any questions about NESL, please contact Prof. Mani Srivastava. To get a good sense of our current research activity, please look at Prof. Mani Srivastava's publication list on Google Scholar.
NESL is also a part of several exciting center-scale multi-institutional collaborations, whose websites provide further details and the broader context of our research.
• Swapnil Sayan Saha and Sandeep Singh Sandha wins 3rd position in Cooking Activity Recognition Challenge (2020-08-29) [Details]
• Vikranth Jeyakumar (SenseHAR) won best poster award at the second annual review of CONIX (2019-10-17) [Details]
• Catch us at CMU on October 16 and 17, 2019 (2019-10-04) [Details]
• Ziqi Wang, Akash Deep Singh, Luis A. Garcia, and Mani B. Srivastava. "UWHear: Through-wall Extraction and Separation of Audio Vibrations Using Wireless Signals", SenSys '20: Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, November 2020. [ Details ]
• Swapnil Sayan Saha, Sandeep Singh Sandha, and Mani B. Srivastava. "Deep Convolutional Bidirectional LSTM for Complex Activity Recognition with Missing Data", Human Activity Recognition Challenge. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies, August 2020. [ Details ]
• Joseph Noor, Ahmed Ali-Eldin, Luis A. Garcia, Chirag Rao, Venkat R. Dasari, Deepak Ganesan, Brian Jalaian, Prashant Shenoy, and Mani B. Srivastava. "The Case for Robust Adaptation: Autonomic Resource Management is a Vulnerability", Military Communications for the 21st Century, November 2019. [ Details ]
• J.Vikranth Jeyakumar, and Mani B. Srivastava. "SenseHAR: a Robust Virtual Activity Sensor for Smartphones and Wearables", SenSys '19: Proceedings of the 17th Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, November 2019. [ Details ]