Welcome to the Networked & Embedded Systems Laboratory (NESL) at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). Our lab is a part of the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, and the Computer Science Department. NESL is physically located in 1762 Boelter Hall on UCLA's campus in Westwood, Los Angeles. Our research is in the broad area of embedded and cyber-physical systems for applications in IoT, ubiquitous and mobile computing, and pervasive sensing and control. Our interests are in problems related to making these systems learning-enabled, secure, privacy-aware, human-coupled, wirelessly-networked, and energy-efficient. We take a full-stack approach in our research, working across all layers of systems including algorithms, applications, software, and hardware.
Feel free to explore this web site, and in case of any questions about NESL, please contact Prof. Mani Srivastava. To get a good sense of our current research activity, please look at Prof. Mani Srivastava's publication list on Google Scholar.
NESL is also a part of several exciting center-scale multi-institutional collaborations, whose websites provide further details and the broader context of our research.
• Congratulations to Sandeep on successful Ph.D. Defense! (2022-06-21) [Details]
• Sandeep has been selected as the Commencement Speaker for the Graduate Engineering Commencement (2022-06-07) [Details]
• Congratulations to Vikranth on successful Ph.D. Defense! (2022-04-30) [Details]
• Swapnil Sayan Saha, Sandeep Singh Sandha, and Mani B. Srivastava. "Machine Learning for Microcontroller-Class Hardware - A Review", IEEE Sensors Journal, July 2022. [ Details ]
• Swapnil Sayan Saha, Sandeep Singh Sandha, Luis A. Garcia, and Mani B. Srivastava. "TinyOdom: Hardware-Aware Efficient Neural Inertial Navigation", Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive Mobile Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), May 2022. [ Details ]
• Swapnil Sayan Saha, Sandeep Singh Sandha, Siyou Pei, Ziqi Wang, Ankur Sarker, and Mani B. Srivastava. "Auritus: An Open-Source Optimization Toolkit for Training and Deployment of Human Movement Models and Filters using Earables", Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive Mobile Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), May 2022. [ Details ]
• Julián de Gortari, Akash Deep Singh, and Mani B. Srivastava. "InkFiltration: Using Inkjet Printers for Acoustic Data Exfiltration from Air-Gapped Networks", ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security, May 2022. [ Details ]